Read, Listen or Die!
I’m back, home after spending the last week out of town and away from “the studio”. During that week I had a chance to catch up on my reading and listening list. While going through all of the vast array of articles, podcasts and books it struck me that I have not shared with you my Read, Listen or Die list. It’s not quite as serious as that, but in terms of the success of your business these blogs, podcasts and books should be considered mandatory.
As a favor to us, we’d ask that you please fill out this listener survey. You will help promote our podcast, and help us to improve.
- Master of 500 Hats - Dave is a flat out stud. He has been involved in just about all of the noteworthy Silicon Valley Start-ups. He is a geek, angel investor and generally a really smart guy. He does not update the blog very often, but when he does the insights he provides are, well valuable.
- Danny Asling- A fairly new blog, but has already made two top 100 lists, Danny focuses on Social Media.
- An Extension of the Net- This is a community blog for developers, but I have found it extraordinarily valuable in keeping tabs on emerging trends. They consider themselves an online design magazine focused on all things Web Design.
- Entreprenuer.com’s Blog - A wide range of contributors and a diverse array of topics all relevant to entrepreneurs, this site is one of my daily stops. They cover pretty much everything.
- Ben Horowitz’s Blog - Ben Horowitz is the co-founder of the VC firm, Andreesen Horowitz and co founder of LoudCloud. He has some great insights from both the entrepreneur and the investor point of view. I read his posts as often as he provides them.
- Joel on Software – Explaining development
43 Folders - Merlin Mann’s website devoted to setting your priorities and arranging your time and life to fit. He has several great video podcasts and always makes great poignant points.
- Business Innovators – Adrian Bye interviews CEO’s from top Internet businesses. These podcasts offer great insight into the minds of some of the hottest companies.
- Success U - How could I not mention my podcasts, I really do try to make it a valuable tool for the entrepreneur, and I honestly, regularly send customers to listen to old podcasts…
- Marketing Over Coffee - Recorded in a local coffee shop, John Wall and Christopher Penn cover both classic and new media marketing in this weekly podcast. They have done some great interviews with people like Seth Godin and James Connor.
- The Passionate Entrepreneur- Kenneth Brown hosts this podcast where he covers everything from best practices for sales to becoming more productive, efficient and profitable.
- The Small Business Brain- Every week David Wolf interviews a small business leaders to bring you their insights and unique perspectives.
- 4 Hour Work Week - I cannot recommend this book highly enough. Every successful entrepreneur I know has read this book, and we all talk about it quite often. Many great tips on leveraging outside vendors to increase your small teams productivity and profit, cheap.
- Crush It! - Why Now is the time to cash in on your passion. Gary Vaynerchuk shows how anyone can build a career around the things they are passionate about.
- Rework - How to break the rules and make a fortune, this book made me uncomfortable, and challenged my assumptions. This turned out to be a good thing. Short, and direct, you NEED to read this book.
- Getting Things Done - The Art of Stress Free Productivity. This book is a kind-of whole life organizing self help book, without the annoying preachy nature of most in the genre. Great book for helping you organize your life.
- Social Media Marketing: An Hour A Day- This book is a fantastic introduction into the use of Social Media to market your product or service. This should be considered a must read for anyone planning on using online media.
- The E-Myth Revisited - Anyone who is looking to start a new business should read this book. Voted #1 by the Inc 500 CEO’s. You should read this first.
- Change Your Brain Change Your Life – Question your assumptions and challenge your comfort zones.
More Related posts and podcasts
- Four Things Some VCs Do That I Don’t Like [Voices] (voices.allthingsd.com)
- Lessons Learned from Seth Godin (e1evation.com)
- The Entrepreneur (businessangelblog.com)
- Changes… my transition & new plans (leehower.com)
- Lessons Learned: April Post Roundup for Startups (readwriteweb.com)
- Top Branding Podcasts for Business (socialmediatoday.com)
- How to Win the Hearts of Investors (caterpillarcowboy.com)
- This Week in Venture Capital: Jason Calacanis’ Latest Podcast Creation (readwriteweb.com)
- Tim “The 4-Hour Workweek” Ferriss On Angel Investing (Video) (techcrunch.com)
- Summary and Review of Gary Vaynerchuk’s Crush It! (bizcovering.com)
- Weekend Reading: Crush It! by Gary Vaynerchuk (readwriteweb.com)
- Life Lessons - Example of a Success Plan Life Lessons - Develop a Success Plan One of the more important life lessons I have discovered as an entrepreneur is to develop a success plan. Rich Harshaw from MyMEssentials.com gives a great example of a Success Plan in his post World's Greatest Car Salesman. The steps he identifies,......
- Social Media Marketing Sucks Tools such as Twitter, Digg, and Facebook are Horrible sales vehicles. In fact using them poorly can do more to hurt your brand than help it. Social Media as a tool for business is much more useful to your PR group than it is to your sales team. At best......
- Online Marketing Tips for the Entrepreneur Online Marketing Tips for the Entrepreneur Over the years I have compiled a wide and varied list of marketing tips. Online marketing is a challenging and ever changing business that can often feel overwhelming for the lone entrepreneur. For this reason alone I usually recommend that you outsource much......
- Affiliate Marketing 101 Affiliate marketing rep from Crestock Stock Photos Understanding Affiliate Marketing Many companies fail when they start out using affiliate marketing. The main reason, misunderstanding how to attract affiliate marketers to their offer. In this podcast I try to explain the basics behind setting up your affiliate program correctly, and......
- Get The Most Out Of Your Internet Marketing Campaign With These Strategies If you're willing to work hard and be dedicated, you can make a great deal of money on the web. Below you'll find some proven strategies that can help you get to where you want to be in IM. The majority of people do not have any concept about what......
- Prosper Taxes: Help Me... Help You [Sung to the tune of Ernie's Rubber Duckie...] Prosper Lending, you're the one You make tax-time lots of fun... This past Friday, I was having lunch with the author of the RateLadder peer-to-peer lending blog and the talk got on taxes. (What? You don't talk about taxes at lunch with......
- Book Reivew: "Going Rogue" by Sarah Palin [/caption] I bought this book right after it came out, but I just finished it up last night. (Those who follow me on Twitter know I was pretty late reading the last few chapters.) Upon finishing, I felt reminded again why Sarah Palin is so popular among conservatives: She comes......
- Why Would You Like To Join An Affiliate Internet Marketing Network? Affiliate internet marketing is the latest trend internet. With so many products to offer and services available, sometimes featuring it upon one internet site isn’t enough. Thus, publishers or stores need affiliate marketers, some sites which are going to display ads for your particular cost. On other hand, this can......
- 10 Best Motivational Podcasts for Entrepreneurs Both seasoned and aspiring entrepreneurs have a wealth of online motivational material available to them. Podcasts are quickly becoming a popular medium with which to get inspired when it comes to running one's own business. Leaving the traditional world of employment in order to start a business can seem overwhelming......
- The Easy Internet Business There are millions of people across the web that start an internet business. Usually the beginning will be what deters them from making any money online since any internet business will usually have a slow start. If you want to start a business online you will need to do a......